Pages

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Salted Caramels

I made my delicious (even if I do say so myself!) salted caramels last night. I’m using these as sweets to put in my Christmas crackers. I think making Christmas crackers are so much better than store bought ones. I usually put a $2 scratchie and a sweet in mine. You can pick up the make your own kits at Spotlight, and they come complete with the bad jokes and the paper hats, just add your own gift!

But, my salted caramels! I always think I have so much, but it never fails to disappear quickly (especially around my family!) these are extremely Moorish little bites, and make great presents.

INGREDIENTS

300ml thick cream
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup golden syrup
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
40gm unsalted butter

METHOD

Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside

Combine cream, sugar, golden syrup, vanilla & salt in a saucepan over low heat and stir continually until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and cooking stirring until a candy thermometer reaches 121C, or until it reached firm ball stage (If you don’t have a candy thermometer, drop some of the mixture into cold water, if it makes a firm ball, it’s ready) this takes about 15 mins, but you will know it’s ready when it has that syrupy thick consistency. Don’t worry if it takes longer than 15 minutes. Once it's ready, remove from the heat and stir in the butter until combined and the butter is melted.

Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and set aside to cool. Once cool, cover and put in the fridge. Once the caramel is set, you can slice it into little squares. I find it easy to wrap each square in wax paper and twist the ends.

Enjoy!

PS I’ll post photos of my caramel very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment