Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

Banoffee Pie for Breakfast

I didn't actually eat any banoffee pie for breakfast, but the friends I made it for did. And I can't say I blame them, bananas, toffee, cream...perfect Sunday morning breakfast fare!


I'm going through a stage at the moment, where I cannot get enough of cooking and baking. Whenever I'm not doing it, I think about what I'm going to make next. This is good. I lost it for a while there and didn't cook or bake for AGES. I think I'm making up for it now. This should mean many more blog posts and much more yumminess. Starting today! With Banoffee Pie. 


Lots of people don't like banoffee pie. I don't know why. It's got caramel, it's got bananas, it's got cream. It's delicious!


Ingredients


Sweet tart cases. You can make your own tart cases with either store bought pastry (but please use Careme Vanilla Bean Shortcrust, or another good quality pastry, not pampas), or you can make your own pastry. I don't have a food processor (I'm holding off till I can get a pink KitchenAid one, to match my mixer) so I find it really hard to make my own. Plus, I like shortcuts.
Bananas, about 5 small to medium sized ones
1/2 cup brown sugar (either dark or light, doesn't matter)
395g Sweetened condensed milk
125g unsalted butter
1 cup whipping cream


Method
Prepare your pastry cases, I made individual pies this time. But you can make one big pie, and pile it high with heaps of bananas and lashings of cream. Pop them in the oven. About 10 minutes at 180C is usually good, but check them after that, and if they need a bit longer, let them have it. Meanwhile, make your caramel sauce. Place a saucepan over medium heat, and combine the sugar and 3 tablespoons of water.






















Stir until sugar is dissolved, and then increase the heat to high, and bring to the boil. Don't stir the caramel when it's boiling. Swirl the pan around a bit, and brush the sides with a pastry brush dipped in water. The mixture should get a little darker, and start to smell like caramel. This process should take about 5 minutes.






















Then add your condensed milk and butter to the pan, and stir constantly until butter is melted, and the sauce is thickened slightly. About 5 minutes.










































By this time, your pastry should be ready. So  pour the caramel into a jug and fill the cases. You can fill them right to the top. And then pop them in the fridge for about an hour or so, just to set the caramel.






















Slice up your bananas. Not too thin and not too thick, and pile them on top of the caramel.






















Whip up your cream, and dollop it on top of the bananas.






















Yum!


The boy and I took them round to our friends place on Saturday night. When we left, I left 4 little pies in their fridge for breakfast. Frankly, I think it's a brilliant breakfast food, and should be added to more breakfast menus!


The rest of the weekend was spent watching Twin Peaks, pottering around the house, and deciding what I'm going to cook this week. As the weather is (finally!) getting cooler, I can start of soups and stews. First up is a hearty, warming, Vegetable soup! mmmmm warm soup belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment