Pages

Friday 13 April 2012

The Brain is the Most Complex Thing in the Universe Apart From the Universe Itself

So, most of you know that I work as a NeurOptimal Neurofeedback trainer. But most of you, are probably going ‘yes Lucy, but what do you do? What does that mean?’ and while I’ve explained that basically I train your brain to be more resilient, to restore & return to optimal and efficient processing. You are probably wondering how on earth I do that, and if you are smart, you’ll all be thinking ‘can I have a go?’

So, if you came to see me, what would happen? You would sit in a super comfy reclining chair, I would put 2 sensors on your right ear, 1 on your left, and 2 on your head. These sensors record electricity, turn it digital and send it back to my computer. They don’t put anything into your brain; they only record what’s going on. Then I’ll put a nice big pair of headphones on you, and you’ll listen to your favourite music for 45 minutes. That’s it! How awesome is that? You can fall asleep; you can let your mind wander and daydream, and all the while be training your brain to process at an optimal level, and to repair itself. Every now and then you might hear some turbulence (basically sounds like a record skipping) in the music, this is cool,  this brings your brains attention to what’s just happened and gives it additional information. Your brain will use this information to restore optimal functioning. You see, the brain can heal itself. It just needs to be shown what it’s doing wrong.  For example, if you were cutting vegetables, and every time you cut, you hit your finger, if you watched yourself doing it in a mirror, you would see what you are doing wrong, and correct yourself. This is what the neurofeedback does to your brain.

So, who can benefit from training with neurofeedback? EVERYONE! Neurofeedback helps improve concentration, helps you cope in times of stress, improves your sleep, basically helps you operate every day at your best. Lots of people think it’s just to help with anxiety, depression and PTSD, and yes, it will help those things, but it’s not just for those issues. How will it help with my depression, I hear you asking. Well, by increasing your awareness, by helping your brain to heal itself. Don’t believe me? I personally know someone how went from not being able to leave their home, to leading a ‘normal’ life, with a relationship & completing a university degree. Medication just covers up the problem, Neurofeedback will show your brain what it’s doing wrong, and help it correct itself. It basically helps you be the best you you can be!
                                                                                                                                                                                                           
The brain likes repetition and it likes patterns. Any therapeutic change is replacing 1 behaviour with another. A new behaviour take 1000 repetitions. Most people will give up after 15. This will change and improve processing. Add adaptability, so it becomes easy to learn new behaviours. Your brain likes continuity, so when it hears an interruption in the music you’re listening to, it will naturally work to reduce that turbulence.

So, how long does it take to reach optimal processing? Well, that’s a tough one. Most people notice a change within themselves after just a couple of sessions, some people don’t notice it at all, until something happens that would usually cause stress or anxiety, and they don’t react like they used too. Between 7 -10 sessions should have you on the right track. But, if you are anything like me, you’ll love it. You’ll love having an hour totally to yourself to chill out, and get what I call ‘Neurorest’ and want to do it every week or every fortnight.

My own personal journey with Neurofeedback began a little over a year ago. Other members of my family had been coming, so I know about it and I knew what it could do. I was having a really hard time in life, I was a little depressed, and I was quite anxious, and so I decided to give it a go, what did I have to lose? After my first session I was in love. I felt amazing, the colours of the world seemed brighter, and it was a high. And, I slept better that night than I ever had before in my life. I started coming twice a week, I felt amazing. Even now I still have a session at least once a week. Its changed my life, not just by doing the training, but also my career. When I was at a loss as to what to do with my life, my dad asked me (my dad is a very clever man) if I was back at the end of year 12, and I had every possibility open to me, what would I do. It was easy ‘Be a Neurofeedback trainer’ and 6 months later, that’s exactly what I am and I have never been happier.

I fell in love with Neurofeedback, and I’m now building a business and career out of it. I love helping people and showing them what they can do and helping them heal.

If you want to give it a go (hey you’ve got nothing to lose!) contact me via email or facebook

For more info click here

No comments:

Post a Comment